Sunday, May 8, 2011

Life’s journey and remembrance


These past few months got me thinking about many aspects of my life and how I’ve changed grown as an individual. Much of it has been my life time experiences and persons in my life that have influenced me to be who I’ve become; the individual I wish to be for I am still far from who I want to be.
Life may not have dealt me with the best hand but I’ve done the best I can with what was given to me; taken every lesson to heart which in turn has often made me my own worst enemy at times. On countless occasions I’ve heard I am way too hard on myself, but someone has to be. I also know that I’m not perfect nor will I ever be, but I certainly try to give 100% and everything I can in whatever I do.  Many aspects of my childhood where rather unpleasant and unfortunate, however what doesn’t kill you can only make you stronger. Somewhere along the lines I found strength to get past it and move on with my life. Many things have driven me to overcome this past and I question how many lives I have for too many times I’ve encountered a brush with death.
In my short time here I’ve also had some experiences that I will never forget and the people I’ve encountered I will forever remember as well. In my tattoo I represent several of those one being my grandfather Claggett. Ronald Claggett a Marine, a musician and someone that helped me get into what I love over many things in my life. He believed in discipline, strong work ethic, his country and had passion in his music. The second person represented in my tattoo my late friend Catherine Weaver whom was killed in an arson fire almost 9 years ago in September. I met Catherine in middle school the daughter of one of my many favorite teachers Mrs. Judith Weaver.  Catherine and I were part of the same Civil Air Patrol group in Gainesville FL. She could literally light up the room with her amazing personality and always knew what to say to make your day a little better. She made me want to be a better person and never take life for granted. Her death affected many of us for she touched so many lives and ultimately changed mine. The cross between their initials represents them both, in addition to having hope and faith to believe that in the darkest of days there is a light at the end; things will get better it may take some time but they will get better.  The outline colors of that cross represents the thin blue line (Police) a career I’ve believe I am determined to do, for there is no greater gift in this world than giving your life to save another. The number 14 represents my high school basketball team for I’ve never met a better group of young women who ultimately felt like a sisterhood. On and off the court we succeeded together; our coach I also owe respect to for he showed me never give up and keep fighting in the end you will come out on top gaining respect with hard work. The last aspect of that number 14 it was my basketball number but something else the it represents my son. Many of you don’t know but at 23 I was pregnant towards the end of the pregnancy I miss carried. It was May 14th 6 years ago when I lost Aiden skyler. Above the cross two music symbols which the orange and blue represent the Gator band, the notes themselves represent my sister whom I always looked up to. They also represent one of my former band directors Kathy lavay whom I was always impressed with and a true role model. I’ve had many great teachers over the years that have made an impact but I’ve known Lavay for a life time it seems and the reason I chose trumpet.
Now that I’ve explained the core in the second half of my life when I moved out to Northern VA I met many more amazing people. There are so many within the last six years of being out here that the list could go on and on. However two wonderful women Heather Lawson and Jamie Roberson, no two women can have such heart and ultimately give so much of themselves. They have been there so much for me and have helped me to not only accept my true self but to help me find it. The other person I met in March of last year Cindy Skilton. I speak fondly of her for the simple reason I’ve seen what most haven’t of her. A woman with so much drive, strength, heart, and overall amazing personality with which she’s helped push me to be better. Cindy has ultimately been my strength and inspiration the driving force towards my career goal of police officer. I see everything I’m not in her and the encouragement to overcome my fears and doubts. This past year she has saved me from a life time before and freed me, nothing I could ever do could repay her. I will forever be in her debt for she has given me so much no words could truly express how much this woman means to me.
Another thing Cindy gave me she brought me to crossfit Hammer Down in Chantilly. In a short time I have been blessed to workout amongst an amazing group of athletes and wonderful people overall. They are all wonderful and one particular athlete sticks out of all of them at 16 years old Darby Nelson truly an amazing athlete and individual. Who else can say that they can basically curl their body weight, in the crossfit open I was honored to see this young woman do some pretty remarkable things. Her personality encouraging and gives you the extra drive you need to succeed. She is the professor of the 6am sessions and I can see her being one of our great leaders of this country in the future.  Then again if it weren’t for Coach Todd K there wouldn’t be a Hammer Down so I can’t leave him out of it either your drive to change is inspiration to all of us to be better than ourselves. Cheryl it wouldn’t be a WOD without the WOOOHOO in the middle of a killer star seeing WOD such energy. Dancing Sarah and the spark to keep things going at the box.
For any I’ve left out I am blessed to have you all in my life, and look forward to many days ahead with you all as I continue on this journey called life. You all bring a little bit to the table and I hold what I’ve learned from each of you to heart. Life’s little lessons which will keep me on an amazing journey till the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment